At Fante Eye & Face Centre, patients receive individualized care to address cosmetic and functional concerns. Eyelid surgery may be performed as a method of rejuvenating the face, or it may be necessary after an injury to the eye or eyes. Whatever the reason for eyelid surgery, our team provides outstanding support before, during, and after the appropriate procedure.
If you are planning eyelid surgery, one of your primary questions may be what you might expect during recovery. Here, we provide a brief outline of recovery, including tips for optimal healing.
Prior to Surgery . . .
One of the important aspects of surgical recovery is preparedness. Patients are encouraged to arrange a space at home in which they can rest comfortably and have necessities nearby. Some of these necessary items include:
- Pain medication as recommended.
- Artificial tears, as recommended.
- Clean towels, gauze pads, and / or washcloth.
- Ice packs.
Immediate Expectations after Eyelid Surgery
During the first 24- to 48-hours after eyelid surgery, you may notice the following:
- Mild discomfort, which can be alleviated with over-the-counter or prescription medication. Avoid aspirin and ibuprofen products; these increase the risk of bleeding.
- Bruises and swelling around the eyes (this will diminish over 7 to 10 days).
- During the first few hours, double-vision, light sensitivity, and tearing may occur.
Weeks 1 and 2
Every person recovers at their own pace. Adequate self-care is necessary even when the recovery phase is going well. For the first two weeks following eyelid surgery, patients should:
- Elevate their head while sleeping. This is easily accomplished by sleeping in a recliner or using a few pillows in bed. Elevation facilitates circulation that minimizes swelling.
- Continue to follow post-operative guidelines until their follow-up visit.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity and swimming. Bending and lifting should also be avoided as much as possible to prevent rapid increase in blood pressure in the head.
- Listen to their body. The eyes may fatigue quickly when reading or performing computer work. Slow down. Take naps! Limit exposure to digital devices.
Schedule a Consultation
The results of cosmetic eyelid surgery can last several years, even as the aging process continues. Learn more about blepharoplasty for functional or cosmetic reasons. Call our Denver office at (303) 839-1616.