If you are self-conscious about the appearance of your ears sticking out from your head or another deformity, otoplasty – cosmetic ear surgery – can help. Otoplasty is trending in popularity as an avenue to correct unattractive ear appearance in adults. In the past, otoplasty has been used to treat children born with misshapen ears due to a birth defect. Otoplasty is now being sought out by adults who have lived with an embarrassing ear look throughout their lifetime.
Cosmetic Ear Surgery – Otoplasty for Adults
Unattractive ears are emotionally difficult for adults in today’s world that is obsessed with looks. Some people have gone through extreme lengths to hide their ears by styling their hair or wearing hats. This is a classic lack of self-confidence in one’s appearance due to a condition that can be remedied by cosmetic ear surgery.
Major and minor external ear deformities are corrected in an outpatient, in-office procedure:
- Protruding ears that stick out too much
- Cupped ear – a very small ear
- Lop ear – the tip bends forward and downwards
- Shell ear – the outer curve and rim is missing
- Over-large or stretched earlobes
- Highly creased or wrinkled ear lobes
- Spock’s ear – a pointed top and an extra fold
- Ears too large or too small
- Excessively large or torn ear piercings
Adult Otoplasty Surgery Fundamentals
While general anesthesia is recommended for children undergoing otoplasty, many teens and adults can tolerate the procedure with a local anesthetic and sedative.
Otoplasty is performed as follows:
- An incision is made in the natural fold behind the ear
- Cartilage and skin are trimmed and adjusted to reshape the ear
- Sutures are placed to hold the ear in position during the healing process
- Dressing is placed over the ears to hold them in place
In conjunction with otoplasty, other surgical procedures can be performed:
- Eyelid surgery
- Chemical peel
- Laser skin resurfacing
Hold Your Head High After Cosmetic Ear Surgery – Otoplasty
Don’t hide your head, it is the focal point of your presence. Increase your self-confidence by reaching out to Fante Eye & Face Centre serving the Denver, CO area, and realize the benefits of otoplasty and other cosmetic facial procedures. Call 303-839-1616 to schedule your consultation today.