Facial aging isn’t always correctable with injectables and lasers. At some point, many people consider the value of a surgical facelift. Here, we discuss what may be necessary before and after this procedure to get the best results.
The first step in the facelift process is our consultation. Dr. Fante spend a good deal of time with each patient to understand their concerns, their desired outcome and expectations, and also their current state of health. A thorough medical history includes talking about previous surgeries, chronic health conditions, and a list of all current medications and supplements. The consultation also involves questions that help the patient determine that we are the right office to address their needs.
Common facelift questions include:
- What are the risks involved with this procedure?
- Is there a non-surgical alternative that might achieve comparable results?
- What is the typical recovery time from facelift surgery?
- How long will the surgery take?
- What kind of anesthesia is used during a facelift?
Patients should also ask questions about their surgeon’s training and experience performing this procedure. It should not be assumed that every doctor who offers facelift surgery is an expert at performing this technique. Dr. Fante is happy to discuss particulars about their educational background and successful facelift cases with new patients.
Preparing for Your Facelift
Before your facelift, it is necessary to:
- Pick up prescription medications well before surgery.
- Stop taking certain medications, such as aspiring, at least one week before surgery. If you are taking a prescription blood-thinner, your surgeon may advise you to have this changed for a short time.
- Stop smoking at least 2 weeks before surgery, ideally 4.
- Get your hair done! This is an easily-overlooked aspect of surgery. Facelift patients cannot get a hair color treatment for several weeks so, if they prefer, should schedule their routine service about a week before surgery.
In addition to these few guidelines, patients can also expect a more detailed outline from our office, which they should strictly follow.
Post-Surgical Facial Care
Facelift recovery need not be stressful or intolerably uncomfortable. Patients are encouraged to take prescription pain medication as directed for at least 2 days. This prevents pain from developing in the first place and avoids having to “chase” pain unnecessarily. Comfort can also be managed with ice packs, so these should be purchased ahead of time. The doctor may also advise purchasing specific ointments or creams to apply to incisions as they heal.
We have the goal to provide our patients with the best surgical experience and the most satisfying outcome possible. To learn more about this procedure, schedule an appointment at our Denver office by calling (303) 839-1616.