Lines anywhere on the face can be a frustrating problem. We often discuss how to treat frown lines with Botox or how a brow lift can reduce worry lines on the forehead, but we shouldn’t forget that the lower face is especially prone to deep creases over time. What we call laugh lines really aren’t anything to laugh about. The lines that may form between the corners of the mouth and the chin, called Marionette lines, also create a challenge for self-confidence. Here, we want to point out how marionette lines can be managed with early and consistent care. Also, we offer a few suggestions on how to eliminate lines once they have formed.
Don’t have lines? That’s great! Do this:
- Make sunscreen a daily habit. On days when the sun is shining and you plan to walk in the hills, wear sunscreen. On rainy days when you’ll be running errands or having lunch with friends, wear sunscreen. Hitting the slopes? Wear sunscreen. Lot’s of it. Sunscreen inhibits premature aging by protecting collagen.
- Use good skincare. Good skincare isn’t just a fancy face wash. Good skincare serves your face up healthy doses of nourishing ingredients like peptides and gently exfoliating acids that fight free radicals and reduce sun damage.
- Your skin needs hydration to sustain resilience that prevents premature wrinkling.
- Don’t smoke. Studies have indicated that the chemicals in cigarettes deplete collagen and also stand in the way of future collagen production.
- Treat your skin to professional help. Professional skin-smoothing treatments are beneficial for prevention. For example, occasional microneedling treatments boost collagen production so the signs of aging can be postponed.
Are lines a frustration right now? Do this:
We offer a few proven treatments for marionette lines. Some work immediately, and some provide dramatic results.
- Dermal fillers are the go-to for men and women with mild to moderate facial aging concerns. Marionette lines can be filled with an appropriate hyaluronic acid product, which will draw water molecules into the tissue beneath the crease to bring skin up to the surface. Results are immediate and can last several months.
- High-tech treatments like SkinTyte achieve impressive improvement in the appearance of facial and neck skin by deeply heating collagen with safe infrared energy. Many patients see improvement after just one treatment.
- Facelift surgery has evolved into a fully customizable technique performed to manually lift tissues that have become lax. The repositioning of tissue can significantly improve lines around the nose, mouth, and chin. This procedure can also restore a beautiful curve to the jawline.