Otoplasty ( Ear Surgery)
In Denver, Colorado
The Art of Compassion The Science of Beauty
Most often, otoplasty (ear surgery) is done for children aged about 4 to 14. It’s done to prevent teasing or humiliation, when the ears protrude too much, and since our ears are fully grown by age 4 or 5, it’s best done as early as possible.
Adults can certainly have ear surgery too, and older people don’t incur any extra risk. Otoplasty can remedy other conditions besides undue protrusion, such as:
- Cupped ear – a very small ear
- Lop ear – the tip bends forward and downwards
- Shell ear – the outer curve and rim is missing
- Over-large or stretched earlobes
- Highly creased or wrinkled ear lobes
- Spock’s ear – a pointed top and an extra fold
- Ears too large or too small
Preparing for the Otoplasty procedure
Dr. Fante will give you specific pre-op instructions. Your head won’t have to be shaved.
If it’s for a child:
- Best not to insist on it until the child is ready. The child will cooperate better and have a better outcome if he or she is emotionally ready to have it done.
- Make arrangements for the child to be absent from school for a week or so, and to have some discreet playground supervision so as not to get their ears hurt by play activity.
- Dr. Fante may use general anesthesia so the child can sleep through the procedure.
Whether it’s a child or an adult:
- The Otoplasty surgery takes 2 to 3 hours, depending on your individual needs
- A small incision is made in the back of the ear so as to gain access to the cartilage
- Dr. Fante will sculpt the cartilage and direct it back closer to the side of the head
- Permanent stitches might be used to help maintain the new position
- Sometimes some cartilage is removed to make a more natural look
- For certain mild deformities, it is possible to remove skin from the back of the ear and stitch the cartilage into a new position; this way no cartilage is removed
- There’ll be a slight scar on the back of the ear
You can be back on your feet within a few hours. Dr. Fante will give you written directions for post-op care.
- There’ll be bulky bandaging at first, to reinforce healing in the new position
- Your ears might ache slightly for a few days, and Dr. Fante will prescribe pain medication for that
- After a few days, thinner bandages will be applied
- Stitches will dissolve, or be removed in about a week
- For about a month, avoid any activity that might bend your ears or knock anything against them. You’ll be asked to wear a tennis headband while sleeping, to avoid bending the ears.
Most people, whether children or adults, are very happy with their new ears.
If you’re interested in learning more about eyelid surgery, cosmetic surgery, eyelid lift, facelift, eyelid tuck, necklift, puffy eyelid, brow lift, plastic surgery, blepharoplasty, or any other cosmetic surgery, in Denver or Boulder, Colorado, contact Dr. Fante for an initial consultation.
303.839.1616 | Contact Us